All PC Guard V6 family products share the same project format and can load project generated by V5 family products.
All V6 PC Guard products can generate valid activation codes for both V5 and V6 protected applications.
However, V6 and V5 PC Guard family products are not fully compatible and this is mainly due to changes in license file format, locking system and site/mid code changes (these codes are now project dependable) which were introduced in V6. More information about this is included in whatsnew.txt document which is included in each full featured version of PC Guard. If you are upgrading from V5, please be sure to study this document.
Please note that there is "Detect existing V5 license" option in V6.
If selected, protected application will try to detect and use existing active license of application protected with PC Guard Win32/.NET V5 and with same project settings (application signature and program id).
- This option is useful in case license reactivation should be avoided for free application updates for applications originally protected with PC Guard V5 family products.
- If you were using custom license filename for V5 protected applications you need to set appropriate V5 custom license filename in V6 project options. Custom license filename value (if defined) has to be different from this value.
- Check for existing V5 license is done only ONCE during the first run of protected application on remote machine. As soon as v6 license data for this project is created on remote machine (and this is done after first run of v6 protected app) v5 license check will no longer be made.
- If existing V6 license is detected on remote machine application protected with this option enabled will not check for V5 license at all.
- If V5 license is detected but not active (application is in demo mode or in locked state) it will be ignored.
- If active V5 license is detected, protected application will automatically activate itself. No further V5 licenses checks will be done on remote machine after this.
- V5 license will stay intact and independent from V6 license. This means that end user will be able to continue using both V5 and V6 licensed products on same machine. All future V6 license changes will not affect V5 license on same machine and vice-versa.