IDENTIFY YOUR UPDATES
Each application update is identified by Update ID value. Protection code will always assume that higher value of Update ID represents newer update.
- Free updates are updates protected with same project settings (same Application signature and Program ID).
- Use different Update ID to identify each update. Always increase Update ID value for new update.
- Free update will be automatically activated on remote machines in case there is existing license for previous update.
PAID UPDATE (FOR ALL USERS)
- Change Application signature and Program ID. In this way protected application will generate new license information on remote machine.
- Reset Update ID to 0 to get a clean start for update id value.
- Such update will generate new site/mid codes regardless of existing licenses for previous update and will ask for new activation code.
LIMITED (FREE) UPDATES
Updates policy feature is intended for limiting free updates.
Updates policy will define which updates end user can install for free (without new activation code).
Updates policy can be set by combining the following options:
(1) "Allow updates for xxxx days after activation" option (mandatory)
Updates can be installed during xxxx (1-9999) days after activation.
(2) "Allow upgrade from this version to new updates for a fixed period of time" option. (optional)
Updates can be installed during fixed period of time (start date - end date)
(3) "Allow only a limited range of updates to be run on remote computer" option (optional)
Only updates with update id value between start - end values (including start and end value) can be run on remote computer. If update with update id outside of set range is run on remote computer it will display error message and close.
(4) "Allow upgrade to this version for a limited range of previous updates" option (optional)
Only updates with update id value between start - end values (including start and end value) will be allowed to upgrade to this version. If existing update id on remote computer is outside set range this update will not be allowed to run.
CHANGING EXISTING UPDATES POLICY WITH NEW UPDATE
Updates policy is stored in protected application together with other required settings during protection process.
In order to change existing updates policy on remote computer(s) with new update of protected application be sure to increase Update ID value and set "Update default updates policy" option for such update.
Only in this case new application update will update existing (if any) updates policy on remote machine with latest updates policy settings.
CHANGING EXISTING UPDATES POLICY BY USING LICENSE EXTENSION WITH ACTIVATION FILE
There is a way for updating updates policy on remote computer for already activated application without sending new update and enabling "Update default updates policy" option.
License extension and activation file features should be enabled for protected application.
When generating activation file for license extension in activation panel "Embed updates policy" option in activation panel has to be enabled.
License extension special flag should also be set. Only in this case generated activation file will be accepted by protected application on remote computer.