PC Guard for .NET was the first available software copy protection wrapper for .NET applications. Both PC Guard for .NET and PC Guard for .NET64 were successfully tested on variety of different .NET executable applications running on all .NET framework versions (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.x) and all .NET compatible Windows operating systems (Windows 98 and later).
Supported .NET applications
- Fully managed .NET desktop executable (EXE) applications and .NET services.
- Mixed mode C++ .NET executable (EXE) applications.
- Fully managed .NET dynamic link libraries (DLL) (note: both main application (exe) and dll must be protected in this case)
- .NET services can also be encrypted but since InstallUtil will refuse to install encrypted .NET service application installation or un-installation process has to be done directly from service. Please see the following KB article for more information.
Not supported .NET applications
The following .NET applications are currently not supported:
- .NET Active X controls
- .NET WEB applications
- standalone .NET DLL's and some mixed .NET .DLL applications.
NOTE: These application can not be encrypted with PC Guard. However, SourceArmor can be used for source code obfuscation of these applications.
- Please see the following KB article about deploying protected .NET application with ClickOnce
- Strong name signature verification should be turned off in compiler settings when compiling .NET applications since signature will be invalidate during encryption process. Protected application can be digitally signed after protection.
- RTE - Runtime encryption system is not available for .NET applications.
Protected program will perform the following .NET specific checks during loading of protected application into memory:
1. Check installed operating system.
If Windows 95 (not supported by .NET) is installed "This program can not be run under Windows 95!" error message will be displayed.
2. Check the presence of .NET framework.
If .NET framework is not installed on target machine ".NET framework is not installed on this computer!" error message will be displayed.
3. Check if required version of .NET framework is installed.
Above error messages can be changed in language editor.